French cinema has long been celebrated for its contribution to the world of film. Not only is it renowned for its artistic merit, but it’s also a great resource for those learning the French language. Watching French films can help language learners improve their listening skills, expand their vocabulary, and get a better sense of French culture.
Here are ten French films from 2020 that are ideal for language learners.
- La Belle Epoque – This charming romantic comedy is set in a world where people can travel back in time. It tells the story of an elderly man who is given the chance to relive his greatest love affair. With excellent performances from Daniel Auteuil and Fanny Ardant, “La Belle Epoque” is a heartwarming and entertaining film that will help you learn the French language.
- Été 85 (Summer of 85) – “Été 85” is a coming-of-age drama that takes place in the 1980s. It follows the story of a teenage boy who falls in love with an older boy during a summer on the coast of Normandy. The film deals with themes of first love, loss, and self-discovery.
- Adolescentes – “Adolescentes” is a documentary that follows two young girls over the course of five years. The film shows the challenges and triumphs of growing up and dealing with the complexities of family, friendships, and the wider world.
- La Nuée (The Swarm) – This horror film tells the story of a woman who becomes a breeder of grasshoppers to save her family’s farm. However, things take a dark turn as the grasshoppers become increasingly aggressive and start to attack humans.
- Slalom – “Slalom” is a drama that tells the story of a young girl who joins an elite skiing academy. However, things take a dark turn when she becomes the target of her coach’s sexual advances.
- La Terre des Hommes (A Better Life) – This documentary tells the story of a group of refugees who are given the chance to build a new life in France. It shows the struggles and challenges that they face as they try to integrate into French society.
- L’Ennemi (The Enemy) – This drama tells the story of two soldiers on opposite sides of the Algerian War. The film deals with themes of friendship, loyalty, and the devastating effects of war.
- ADN (DNA) – “ADN” is a drama that tells the story of a woman who tries to come to terms with the death of her grandfather. The film deals with themes of grief, family, and identity.
- Les Choses Qu’on Dit, Les Choses Qu’on Fait (Love Affair(s)) – “Les Choses Qu’on Dit, Les Choses Qu’on Fait” is a romantic comedy that explores the complexities of modern relationships. The film deals with themes of love, infidelity, and communication.
- De Gaulle – This historical drama tells the story of Charles de Gaulle and his role in the liberation of France during World War II. The film provides a fascinating insight into French history and is a must-see for those interested in French politics.
In conclusion, watching French films is a great way to improve your language skills and gain a better understanding of French culture. These ten French films from 2020 offer a range of genres and themes that are sure to appeal to a wide audience. So, grab some popcorn and start watching!